Tri-City Ledger -

By Kevin McKinley
Guest Columnist 

The long history of Canoe School:Part 2

 

August 27, 2020

Courtesy Photo

Canoe School and its auditorium opened in the early 1920s

Schools and education have always been a prime concern in the Canoe area. According to Annie Waters, History of Escambia County, a log school was constructed early in Canoe's history. Records show that by 1894 there were three schools in operation with an enrollment of 80 pupils.

The schools in that long ago era were famous for their teachers, and Canoe had a true colony of teachers throughout much of her history whereby education and culture was passed from one generation to the next. In the 1890s, Mrs. Watson, Hattie Terry and Sally Smith were instructors at two of the schools. Mr. W.J....



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020