Fires keeping departments running fast
Multiple house fires reported in week
October 27, 2022
A car fire ended up destroying a home; a space heater caused a fire and a possible electrical fire had firefighters busy over the past week with no injuries reported.
Flomaton received a 911 call at 3:35 a.m. Friday, Oct. 21 of a fire at 121 Martin Luther King Drive in reference to a house fire.
Flomaton Fire Chief Steve Stanton said when he arrived it appeared the fire started at an electric space heater and the blaze had climbed the wall and headed toward the attic.
Flomaton, Friendship, Lambeth and Century fire departments responded and had the fire out in about 20 minutes.
Stanton said the woman living in the house woke up to go to the bathroom and the house was full of smoke. She was able to get outside with no injuries. Stanton noted there was a smoke detector in the house but it did not work.
"She's lucky she woke up," Stanton said.
Stanton said if anyone needs a smoke detector they can call the fire station at 296-2439 or the Flomaton Police Department at 296-5811 and they can get a smoke detector installed free of charge. Stanton also said he warns against using electric space heaters to heat a house or room.
At 3:12 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21, firemen were dispatched to 725 Bridal Path Lane to a fire that apparently started as an electrical fire in the kitchen.
Stanton said Flomaton, Friendship and Lambeth fire departments responded and had the fire out in 15 to 20 minutes. He said the damage was mainly smoke, but the was some structural damage.
At 6:08 Wednesday, Oct. 26, multiple fire departments were dispatched to a fire at 210 Friendship Road and found the house fully involved.
Stanton said the woman in the house went to the carport to get into her car and the car was full of smoke. She got out and dialed 911. After the car caught on fire it spread to the house.
Stanton said one problem was there were no fire hydrants in the area and multiple departments with pumper trucks were dispatched.
"I can't tell you how many departments were there because we called everybody," Stanton said.