Tri-City Ledger -

By Kevin McKinley
Guest Writer 

Fortune tellers once existed in Canoe

 

February 13, 2020



The advent of Highway 31 brought about rapid transportation between the hamlets and towns of the area. Motorists could now travel routes in a few hours that previously would have taken a half day, full day or multiple days to traverse.

On April 5, 1934, The Atmore Advance reported the opening of the Highway 31 portion between Sardis Church Road and Canoe. All along 31, truck stops, motels and other tourist attractions began to spring to life. In Canoe, the Lighthouse was an early example of such a tourist attraction.

The old Gordon Mineral Springs had fell into disuse in the late ninetee...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019