Tri-City Ledger -

By Gretchen McPherson
Ledger Staff 

Atmore fire started by candles

 

November 15, 2018



At 8:22 p.m. Tuesday night, Atmore Fire Department responded to a 911 call regarding a possible fire at 303 N. Trammell St.

Emergency responders arrived to find flames coming out of the top of the structure's front window and roof.

“They had some candles burning in the upstairs bedroom, and they turned over, which started the fire,” said Atmore Fire Chief Ronald Peebles. “It was a total loss, because what didn't burn was heavy with smoke and water damage.”

Peebles said the extend of damage was due to the asbestos shingle roof underneath the tin roof on the house. He said they were able to help the family save some of their personal items, although they are smoke and water-damaged to a degree.

“The fire was fully extinguished close to midnight,” said Peebles. “We paged Walnut Hill Fire Department for mutual aid, but we cancelled before they came.”

The local Red Cross is helping the family. Anyone interested in offering assistance to the family many contact the local Red Cross at 251-368-3003, Peebles said.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019