Tri-City Ledger -

By Kevin McKinley
Guest Writer 

Canoe study club kept learning alive

 

November 29, 2018

Kevin McKinley

Some of the Members of Canoe Study Club congregate at Farrar's Store in downtown Canoe around 1925

In an earlier time people used some of their leisure time to learn and grow intellectually for no other reason than to expand their minds. This held true for our local area as well. On many an otherwise cold fall or winter night, the only thing brighter than the flame from their fireplace or their gas heaters was the flame of curiosity that ignited learning in numerous study clubs around the area.

The Brewton Methodist Church had a study club in the area at least as early as December of 1920. The Brewton Standard noted on December 2, 1920, Mrs. O.F. Luttrell entertained the Methodist Study...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 12/12/2018 06:33